Thursday, March 10, 2016

How I got the idea

I got my idea a while back from a dream, its pretty cool to think our brain makes up all kinds of cool stories to entertain us while we sleep.. but this dream was creepy and I'm anxious to know what triggered this weird dream.

And it went like this: I was in a room, it was a dirty, messy room. The only light that came thru were faint city lights, the windows were closed by wood fences and  just one light-bulb swinging around by an extension cord. I couldn't see clearly but there was a girl, weeping and laying down in a mattress. I do remember her having a cut on her forehead but that is about as much detail of her as i got to see. The mattress was horribly dirty and she was tied up with rope chains to a wall. they're was a can with some sort of food scattered around her, the revolting mush looked fresh, which indicated that she hadn't been here for long and a dog bowl with semi-dirty water. In my dream, I couldn't talk to the girl, I was invisible. I tried helping her by untying the chain of knots that kept her trapped by that wall.. but it was useless. I was basically a ghost. I just stayed there looking at the sunrise outside the window until I heard the door slam. It was a tall guy maybe in his mid 30's. (I realized the only blurry thing about my dream were people because I remembered the room perfectly). He walked over to the girl and spoke to her in another language and she just wept. He chuckled, looked at the time, gave her the "hold on" finger sign, and walked out of the room. And she just bowled out crying.

Now I'm pretty sure your wondering how in the world did I remember so much of a dream ( keep in mind I elaborated the dream in order for it to make sense) and I want to know too, so i did a little research and according to the article "Why some remember dreams and others don't", when a person has vivid dreams they tend to remember them because the brain thinks its a memory. It can also be the possibility that my body kept waking up because of the rush, and that made my brain remember it. Also, the article "What causes those freaky dreams" talks about how dreams are symbolic and they can represent the unconscious (which is pretty creepy considering what I dreamed about). Either way I thank my crazy brain for dreaming about this because it enlighten and inspired me to base my project on this!  

Here are the articles i read about Vivid dreams and remembering dreams:

Gholipour, B. B. (2013). Why Some Remember Dreams, Others Don't. Retrieved March 14, 2016, from http://www.livescience.com/38856-why-people-recall-dreams.html 

Feature, S. W. (n.d.). What's Causing Those Freaky Dreams? Retrieved March 14, 2016, from http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/features/freaky-dreams-what-do-they-mean 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ivana! I really like your idea; I'm always a sucker for a good thriller. In one of your postings when you mentioned the single light bulb swinging back and forth I immediately thought about the opening to the movie Dark City; it involves a man waking up dazed and confused. So if you have a minute maybe look it up on YouTube so you can implement some of the techniques used in your own project! (here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1V5LcvK2ns)
    Your blog posts are long, which is a good thing so readers have a lot of information about the process. I especially liked the postings when you described your dream, and how it inspired your story. I agree that if you start the opening with the girl waking up and using flashbacks, it will be shorter and have a more interesting dynamic. I would go the same route for your location- keep it simple. Filming in your garage may be easier because you can manipulate to whatever extent you want and obviously you'll have easy access. Also, I like how you're playing with special effects makeup a little, with the fake blood.
    When writing your posts, I would use proper language. I'm saying that you have to sound like you're writing a professional paper for English class, but make sure your spelling and grammar is correct. While on the topic, I do like how you incorporate your own voice into your postings; it makes everything more personal and genuine!
    You're clearly putting a lot of effort into your blog posts, so I'm sure you are putting a lot of effort into the rest of the project. I hope everything goes well as you continue to film. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete